11.05.2007

typhoon in isabela

My dad just called me to ask me when I would go home? He wanted me to be home as early as possible for my youngest brother’s wedding on December 1. As usual, my dad is 'uber' excited again with the preparations. Then he started making comments on the invitations that I made and sent to them yesterday. To cut his comments, I asked him if they already have current. They have been brownout for several days now because of the typhoon 'Kabayan' that passed our province this weekend. He told me that most of our neighbor’s roofs were blown away by the typhoon. Most trees in our backyard were also uprooted, good thing it didn’t fell on the house. Our ninong’s roof, on the other hand, flew over their vehicles… good thing it fell on the container vans and not on their cars. The sad thing is that our ‘mais’ or corn crops were all damaged. No single stalk was left standing when he visited it the next morning…

Actually, they were not expecting to have a strong typhoon because whenever PAG-ASA gives out storm signal #2, there will be no rain or strong wind being experienced. This was what happened on the day of the typhoon but when the night fell, the rain also started pouring hard together with strong winds. They even experienced something like an ‘ipo-ipo’ daw. Another thing that I am grateful is that my mom was home that time. If she were in the barrio, then I would have worried again for her.


As of today, Isabela is still recuperating from that disaster. Almost all towns are still brownout, which might last for a week. Farmers are again down with ‘utang’ but still hoping for the best.

3 comments:

Jane said...

hi mari,tsk,it's sad to hear about the typhoon and its aftermaths.hope all is well in isabela now.poor sheng,she could have enjoyed her short break better without the typhoon's fierce.
PS - we're lucky that it didn't change direction so we're not hit here. Stay dry and safe.

mari said...

sinabi mo pa friend. she got home saturday so malamang sunday night she was even on her way home pa lang siguro. we'll meet her on saturday for lunch, then head to manila bay for her sunset pictures daw... i'm hoping she'd let me hold her cam even for just 5 minutes :D

jane said...

she told us about her plan of doing a photoshoot in Manila Bay - there should be no reason that you can't hold her cam, hihihi. we actually look forward to the pictures. enjoy your dining this weekend then.:)